Hull High School is a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence

Friday, September 28, 2012

HHS New Teacher Profiles: Mr. Ian Barkon (Music)

This year we have had the pleasure of hiring six outstanding new professionals to become part of the Hull High School faculty.  We are extremely proud of the choices we made in the hiring process as these teachers are already proving to be an indispensable part of our school community.  They are energetic, passionate, and hard working educators who are making difference in our classrooms.

Over the next three weeks we will highlight our new teachers by featuring brief profiles, which are designed to introduce them to community members who have not yet had the opportunity to meet them.



New Teacher Profile #1
Mr. Ian Barkon - Music Education/Band


  1. Can you tell us a little about your background?
 I began my musical career as a trumpet player in the 5th grade Band at Monroe Elementary School in Monroe, CT.  I don’t exactly remember why I chose the trumpet, I guess it just looked cool to me and made a very loud sound.  I played that trumpet all the way through high school and joined the Jazz Band in my junior year.  After I graduated high school I left music for a few years to study Biology at Framingham State College.  While at Framingham, the one course that changed my life forever happened to be a music appreciation course.  It made me rethink my interests and steered me in the direction of music education.  After another two years of several part time jobs and many lessons on the guitar, I applied to Berklee College of Music.  I was accepted in January of 1996 and completed the Music Education program three years later.  My teaching career of thirteen years has taken me from Randolph to Milton to Belle Glade, Florida, then back to Plymouth and now here in Hull.  I have taught many music courses including Band, Chorus, Piano, Guitar and General Music.  All of which have been at the middle school level.  This year I am looking forward to teaching Band and Music to the students of Hull High School as well as completing another step of my own education, a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership from Bridgewater State University.      


  1. Why did you become a teacher?

I went into education because of the excellent music educators that influenced me when I was in school.


  1. What are your first impressions of Hull High School?

My first impressions of Hull High School were high levels of respect between students and adults, a well-organized main office and administration, high expectations of the students and an overall positive and friendly atmosphere in the building. 



  1. What do you love about your particular content area?

I love music because it is such an influential part of everyone’s life.  Music is everywhere.  Television, video games, movies, radio, and portable devices all utilize music to connect themselves to our human emotions.  And even though we aren’t all trained to critically listen to music there is something about music that everyone can connect to to enjoy it.


  1. Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students do not know.

Over a decade ago I did some restorations on a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass.  I love tinkering around on cars or anything with moving parts.  I’ve been a “Tool Man” since I was five!