Hull High School is a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence

Thursday, September 12, 2013

New Teacher Profiles: Daniel DeLollis - Industrial Technology



Hull High School
New Teacher Profiles
Daniel DeLollis

        
        Can you tell us a little about your background?

After High School I spent 27 years working as a machine operator for one of the largest companies in the world (Norton Company/ St. Gobain).  I come from a large family and grew up in the town of Auburn.  I attended Auburn High School (Home of the Auburn Dandies) where I played hockey.  My favorite subjects were English, Social Studies and Wood Shop.  In 1982 I moved to Ayer where I’ve lived for thirty one years-eighteen years in my current home.


        Why did you become a teacher?

Back in the early nineties the company introduced basic skills class and I became interested in computers as a result of the course Computer Enhanced Blueprint Reading.  I met the instructor, Fran Graves who also attended Auburn High School and was/ is a Technology Education teacher.  Fran was inspirational and enthusiastic causing me to say to myself, “I think I’d like to become a Tech Ed teacher”.  After years of working rotating shifts (first and second) in the summer of 1993 the company did away with rotating shifts and with sixteen years in the company I did not have enough seniority for first shift, the shift of choice.  One Friday afternoon in August when it was around one hundred degrees and as humid as it gets I said to myself, “Do I want to do this for the next thirty years”?  This was not only the uncomfortable environment but also lots of heavy lifting and other physically demanding activities.  Of course, the answer was “no” so I checked into Fitchburg State College in the pursuit of a Technology Education degree where I attended classes in the morning and worked 2:30 to 11:00.  A part time student I stuck it out for eleven years and graduated (Magna Cum Laude) in 2004.  I took my first teaching job in August of 2004.


What are your first impressions of Hull High School?

        My very first impression about Hull High School supports what I do.  I would like to thank and give a huuuuuuuuge             round of applause to Mr. Devine, Mr. Sivo, the school committee and others (i.e. Mr. Augusterne) who have worked             hard to fully support and revive the Tech Ed program.  After working in two districts where the Tech Ed program was          eliminated I feel very fortunate to be here.  My other first impression of Hull High School is that we are located in a                beautiful part of the world.  Finally, now five days into the school year my third first impression of Hull High School is          that I am surrounded by really good kids and very helpful and supportive colleagues.


 What do you love about your particular content area?


     The students are always the best part of teaching.  I want to pass along the skills I learned from my shop teachers to           my students.  Building fine woodworking projects with young people is what I love about my content area.When a               student is proud of their accomplishments and takes pride in their work that is what gives me goose bumps.


Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students do not know.

  I am the proud subordinate of two Golden Retrievers, have two fireplaces and the right color tractor.  I live in another          nice part of the world and my home sits on three and one half acres.   For fun, I play pick-up hockey on Saturday nights     and I’m a pretty good back liner.  I missed two games in the last year.  I sort of look at it as a commitment.  These games       are huuuuuuuge and you’re never sorry you came.