Hull High School is a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence

Thursday, September 12, 2013

New Teacher Profiles: Blythe Cowen - Social Studies

Blythe Cowen

Hull High School 
New Teacher Profile
Blythe Cowen


Can you tell us a little about your background?


I started my career in historic preservation education at the John Jay Homestead in Katonah, NY and developed my love of teaching history to students from there. I received my bachelor's degree from Gettysburg College (where Civil War reenactors could be seen year round!) and earned a master’s from Glasgow University across the pond. After working in museums for 3 years I got my masters in teaching at Tufts and have been teaching high school history for 2 years. I grew up in Southern Mass and in Connecticut and am very excited to now be on the South Shore.



Why did you become a teacher?


I became a teacher because I believe in guiding the members of the next generation to become active, responsible, positive, participating citizens in not only our local communities, but in our global community.



What are your first impressions of Hull High School?


I've had a great first impression. The students, teachers, administrators and parents that I've met so far have only been welcoming. From the historic bus tour of hull during new teacher orientation, to the parent-provided breakfast during the first week of school, I am warmed by the generosity of this community.



What do you love about your particular content area?


I love that history can show us why we live the way we do now. I love that it can reveal truths about the human condition that help us to understand we are all, as human beings, more alike than different. And I love that history is essentially a study in empathy. No matter which war or cultural movement or political development we learn about, studying history can help us all be more open-minded, compassionate, accepting individuals. And that is something we need more of in our world today!


 Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students do not know.


I have a variety of interests beyond history. I am a flutist and greatly enjoy the thriving Celtic music scene in Boston. I am a big fan of Autumn. Nothing makes me quite as happy as apple cider and cider doughnuts. Mmmm. I love getting outdoors when I can and enjoy sailing, kayaking, and hiking. Especially in the fall!